Menu Makeover: Mediterranean Brown Rice is the Perfect Vegan Recipe for Summer
Meryl’s Menu Makeover: Mediterranean Brown Rice is the Perfect Vegan Recipe for Summer
Hynt Beauty Founder Meryl Marshall is a pro at designing beautiful natural cosmetics. The multi-talented green beauty maven is also handy in the kitchen. Give your summer menu a tasty makeover with this delicious, vegan Mediterranean Brown Rice side dish.
A Vegan Recipe to Makeover Your Summer Menu
Mediterranean Brown Rice
- 1 cup organic brown rice
- 2 ¼ cups Pacific brand organic vegetable broth
- 14 oz. Pomi chopped tomatoes OR 14.5 oz can Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup organic garbanzo beans
- 1 cup of frozen or fresh organic baby green peas (may substitute 1 cup frozen chopped spinach)
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 dash of red cayenne pepper
- Fresh organic parsley
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper
- olive oil
In a shallow pan sauté shallot, garlic, sea salt, and black pepper in olive oil on medium heat until translucent. Add tomatoes and cayenne pepper and stir, cooking two minutes on medium heat. Add rice and broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Cover tightly and cook for 45 minutes. Halfway through cooking time, add beans, peas, and parsley. Add more sea salt to taste as desired.
This dish is perfect on its own and makes a great side dish for fish, salmon, or chicken.
Leave a comment
Your email address will not be published. Comments will be approved before showing up. Required fields are marked *